Why do we need to go back to the office?
Because it’s where
– we collaborate
– we get those water-cooler moments that lead to innovative breakthroughs
– younger workers learn from their peers
– creativity happens
– we develop those all-important relationships with our peers
– get our social contact
– we build our networks
– we create the culture and sense of belonging
– we get separation between our work and home lives.
What an amazing place, eh?
So wonderful, so powerful, so magical?
What’s that? In all your office life you’ve never encountered such a paradise?
That’s because it’s a mirage, a unicorn seen through rose-tinted spectacles.
The office is NOT essential for creativity, innovation, relationship and network building, collaboration, learning and work/home life balance.
In fact, a lot of people’s personal experience over the last year suggests the opposite.
These things happened AT the office, not BECAUSE of the office. Correlation, not causation.
Yes, some things may work better in an office environment. But many things don’t.
Let’s get smart about work and where we do it. Because just going to office all the time is stupid.
Like believing in unicorns.
#futureofwork #remotework #wfh #decrapifywork