How to manage people remotely
- Trust them
- Set clear goals and expectations
- Communicate often and extensively
- Schedule a weekly one-to-one meeting with each team member
- Review projects often to check progress, but primarily to provide support and
- Document extensively so that they have all the information they need to do their job at their fingertips, whenever they need it
- Meet once a month (preferably in person) to build the relationship and discuss broader topics such as career development, well-being, happiness and life in general. Let them set the agenda and raise any topic they want.
- Take an interest in them as a whole human being
- Celebrate every success and praise them often
- Show you care about them
How to manage people well
The problem is not that remote or hybrid is harder to manage. The ‘problem’ is that it’s much less tolerant of poor management.